AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY
Serving veterans, their families, and their communities
Department of South Dakota
The South Dakota Legionette – 2016-2017
Editor: Micheline Nelson
19650 Mossing Lane, Spearfish, SD 57783
Micheline.Nelson@live.com (Preferred) or 605-645-1346
The Legionette and Email-Legionette are the two newsletters bringing the information to our members. It is also the recorded history of our organization. The quality of the information is a shared responsibility. The paper edition is limited to four (4) pages and printed in black and white, while the Email-Legionette is 6 to 8 pages. To accommodate the space allowed, some guidelines are provided below. When necessary these guidelines can be modified.
Members and Units renew their subscription for mailed and emailed newsletters by completing the information sheet including very legible name, address, unit number, and phone number, as well as email if the member has one, no later than November for continuous delivery. Each annual subscription, from January to December, costs $5.00 for 10 publications and $2.00 for the emailed version. Any member subscribing after that date, pays the same fee and will receive the publication as soon as headquarters send the information to the editor. Unit President will receive a free subscription but may elect to support the newsletter and donate $5.00 to cover the expenses. Address corrections, deletions, deceased members and errors: contact headquarters
Where to Send Articles: All submissions can be mailed, emailed, scanned or faxed.
Micheline Nelson, 19650 Mossing Lane, Spearfish, SD 57783
Email: Micheline.Nelson@live.com (preferred)
Phone: 605-645-1346; Fax: 605-642-6211
All submissions should be in by the 18th of each month. The publisher receives the original copy to print and mail the newsletters by the 24th. It can take up to 6 days for some of the mailings to arrive in smaller communities. The Email-Legionette will be sent at the end of the month. Monthly chairman article will follow the guide. The president’s letter, the membership message, In Memoriam, monthly calendar/guide; and prayer will be in each issue.
Word Count for your Article:
· Department President: up to 400 words
· Department Chairman of the Month: up to 250 words
· Headquarter Secretary: up to 250 words if needed
· Membership Information: up to 250 words
· Prayer of the Month: up to 150 words
· Monthly Junior Activity by department or unit chairman: picture with narrative up to 150 word
· Department/District/Unit: all pictures with identified individuals; description of the project or news up to 100 words
· Important information like conventions, due dates, banquet, etc. – flexible word count
What to Send
· Any items for the calendar not in the guide’s calendar of events
· Deceased members to be published in the Legionette must be approved by the Department Secretary who will validate current membership
· Special project or any event supporting our veterans, active duty, their families
· Any Department, District, or Unit ALA activities
· Reminders or announcements of meetings or other ALA activities to invite our members to collaborate, participate or attend
Member to Remember
The Legionette will have a space for the “Member to Remember”.
Districts 1-4 will be able to submit members for this special recognition up to Mid-Winter, Districts 5-8 will submit their members after Mid-Winter until May 16.
If there is an exceptional member and you don’t fall in the time frame, don’t hesitate to email or mail the information and picture. There might not be any others that month.
Encourage units to submit a picture of the member participating in an activity and 2-3 sentence narrative to explain it when they send the information to the Legionette Editor. The “Member to Remember” is intended to recognize those members who work behind the scenes, can always be counted on, but seldom are recognized for their contributions.