National Theme: “Enhance the Member Experience”
I want to thank and congratulate every unit membership chairman for excepting this responsibility. Your chairmanship is most important to your unit and to the Department of South Dakota. It is the task of all Auxiliary members to encourage membership, but it is up to the unit membership chairman to be the leader.
The first renewal notice will be mailed by September 15th for the upcoming membership year. A second notice will be mailed by January 15th for the current membership year. However, to increase South Dakota’s membership, we need to do more.
What Can We Do? -
* We need to retain all current members. Whether you contact them by phone, text, email or
* Recognize all members for any or all contributions they make to the unit, such as serving as
* Ask members to participate in programs they are passionate about; we do not all like the same
* Be welcoming, kind, and respectful to all members of all ages and backgrounds.
* Inform members of members benefits and discounts available.
* Insure a positive experience for all members.
How to Attract New Members -
* Personal contact - face to face is the best!!
* Increase the American Legion Auxiliary visibility in your community. Let people know who we
* Encourage your Junior members to recruit their eligible friends and relatives. South Dakota
* Do not expect all new members to attend regular meetings; be grateful for however they want
* Remember the “Golden Rule.” Treat others as you want to be treated!
* Let’s be an organization of positive thinkers and doers.
* Make your unit an environment where new members feel comfortable and accepted.
In our communities we need to ensure that the American Legion Auxiliary is appealing to the women we are trying to recruit.
Units, be aware of the Department “Red, White and Blue” certificates that are available. These awards are listed in the 2016-2017 Program Guide. Also, at the district meetings we will be talking about some monetary awards that units can earn with their membership.
Membership Award Categories
$100 given in each category
10-25 members in unit
26-45 members in unit
46-80 members in unit
81-120 members in unit
121-over member in unit
$100 will be given in each category for largest % of increase in unit membership goal - based on ending membership June 30th, 2016 to ending membership June 1st, 2017.
Remember when you joined the American Legion Auxiliary? You chose to take a strong stand for our veterans, the military, their families and our communities. That dedication to our organization’s objectives is realized through our efforts to keep our membership strong and growing.
Have a wonderful Auxiliary year.
**Date to Remembers: Mid-Year Reports
1.Provide three examples of how your department is encouraging and renewals.
2. Did working any of the ALA programs help to generate new members? Example (teaching flag etiquette at school resulted into teachers joining the ALA
3. Have any of your units implemented new/innovative ideas or practices to increase renewals and/or sign up new members? If so what are they?
End of Year Reports
B. Member Award: Recruit 1
C. Member Award: Recruit 10
D. Member Award: Silver Brigade
E. Unit Award: Best Member Experience
Units must submit completed Best Member Experience Award form to your department