Past President's Parley
Past Presidents Parley Action Plan
27949 Horse Camp Rd.
Hot Springs, SD, 57747
H: 605 745-6375 C: 605 890-1154
The Past Presidents Parley is a forum that brings together the
experience of our former presidents and utilizes their expertise in
active service to the American Legion Auxiliary. Women who have
been president of a unit, department, or the national organization are
encouraged to contribute to the Auxiliary as members of the Past
Presidents Parley. These leaders share their wisdom and provide
ongoing mentorship to empower and bolster the Auxiliary’s present
leaders, ensuring the continuity and strength of the organization at all
The Past Presidents Parley recognizes and honors:
• Women veterans
• Women currently serving in the military
• Outstanding unit members who do the hard work of service
Past Presidents Parley awards presented annually at national
convention two awards: Unit Member of the Year and Salute to
Unit Member of the Year Award
Please promote and submit a nomination for your Unit Member of
the Year Award. This award recognizes the contributions made by a
valued unit member.
Requirements for award are:
• Only senior members in good standing are eligible.
• Current membership dues must be paid.
• The member cannot have obtained an elected or appointed
leadership role higher than that of unit president.
• Selection is based on accomplishments, activities, etc., for the
current administrative year.
• Years of membership are not a part of the criteria; the nominee
may be a new member.
• All forms, including a narrative (limited to 1000 words), must be
completed and submitted by March15th of the current year to
your District President. District President’s deadline to the
Department Chairman is May 1st. The unit president and
secretary must sign the entry form unless the nominee is one of
them, in which case a past unit president must sign the entry
• The selection of the winner is at the discretion of the
department Past Presidents Parley chairman.
• The Department winner is encouraged to attend the National
Salute to Servicewomen Award
• Must be currently serving in the U.S. armed forces
• Must submit a narrative of 750 words or less on the topic specified in
• Membership in the Auxiliary is desired, but not required.
• Nominees should be willing to attend the National Convention if
• All entry forms including a narrative/ YouTube video must be
completed and submitted by the deadline. A YouTube video can take
the place of a written narrative.
• Entry must have the nominee’s name, and address, unit name and
number (if applicable) and most importantly, contact information for
• Application form and details can be found at alaforveterns.org,
members only, ALA Awards
• Each unit may submit one entry for each branch of the service.
• All entries must be postmarked by June 1st of the current year.
An annual report is not required; however, a year-end summary and a
mid-year progress report is suggested as tools to gauge the
direction and effectiveness of department activities. Both narratives
should be forwarded to the department chairman by December 1st for
mid-year and May 1st for end-of-year.